UGC changed the rules for admission to PhD, now admission will be based on NET score.

PhD Admission From UGC NET Score: UGC has made a major change in the rules for admission to PhD course. Under this, now universities will not need to conduct separate entrance exams for admission to PhD, rather they will get admission through a single exam (NET). UGC has proposed that candidates should get admission in PhD on the basis of the score of National Eligibility Test i.e. NET examination. This score will remain valid for some time and candidates will not have to appear for a separate entrance examination to do PhD.

There will not be many exams

UGC says that by taking admission in this way, the need for many exams can be eliminated. At present, the admission method of every university is different and each takes its own entrance examination. By validating the NET score, it can be used only and there will be no need for separate examinations.

Paper is given twice

Let us tell you that currently NET exam is conducted twice a year. The examination is conducted once in June and once in December. With this, students will also get the opportunity twice a year for admission to PhD. UGC Chairman Jagdish Kumar says that all higher educational institutions should take admission through this medium. This will be in the interest of both the institute and the students.

Selection will be done in three categories

If we talk about admission through this process, then the candidates of NET exam will be declared successful in three categories. Admission to PhD with JRF – Appointment as Assistant Professor, Admission to PhD without JRF – Appointment as Assistant Professor and the third and last category includes admission only to PhD programme.

Interview will also be held

Net score alone will not be considered for admission to PhD programme. Rather, the arrangement will be such that 70 percent weightage will be given to net score and the remaining 30 percent to interview. This interview will be conducted by the institute where you have submitted the form for PhD admission. 

Also read: Applications for SSC JE posts started, fill the form before this date 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top